Fire destroyed Soldier Mountain Ski Resort in Fairfield, Idaho on Monday. The 50 year old landmark, co-owned by actor Bruce Willis, had just closed for the season when fire swept through the property.
According to Camas County Chief Deputy Brian Miller, the blaze started at 7:30 a.m. and destroyed the lodge and a ski rental building nearby. The resort employs 50 people during the ski season. Fairfield Mayor David Hanks called the fire a real blow to the community. He stated that area businesses count on the ski resort to help bring customers into the area during the winter months.
The last ski day was Saturday and a season ending employee party was held on Sunday night. The fire is believed to have started near a fireplace on the north end of the lodge. The fire marshal is continuing to investigate.
Willis and the Valley Entertainment Group had been working on a new master development plan with officials of the Sawtooth National Forest to build a new lodge and a new lift for the resort.
The actor recently married Emma Heming. More details and photos here.
See fire photos below.
More photos of the aftermath of the fire available here.